Shani (Elise)'s Travels

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Foz de Iguaçu






Sydney arrived on Monday morning…a little bit later than expected. Her flight into São Paulo was late, making her miss her flight into Curitiba. Thankfully, she was traveling with my friend Jen, so it was that big of a deal.

            This was our last week of class. As everyone left, I got very emotional. Spending six weeks with each other made us very close. There were a few conflicts along the way, but for the most part everyone got along very well. It was kinda like being at summer camp…except it was cold…and we had to do work.

            On Friday, Syd and I headed out to Foz de Iguaçu, right on the border of Brazil and Agentina to go see the waterfalls. We stayed at this really cool hostel called Hostel Bambu, where we of course met lots of other travelers who were, of course, not American. It was a 12-hour bus ride from Curitiba, so we took the red-eye. When we arrived on Saturday, we immediately headed out to the Brazilian side of the falls. It was a very cold, dreary day, but the falls were beautiful. On Sunday (with much better weather), we took a tour of the Argentina side. I don’t know which was better. It was spectacular and well worth the trip. Again, I can’t say what the pictures tell. One funny side story to this adventure…they had these funny little animals called ? that looked like a cross between a raccoon and an opposum. They were tearing up the trashcans looking for food and if you had a plastic bag, they would jump on you and start digging through it. One even jumped on a girl’s back and was digging in her backpack looking for food! It was so funny. We saw a man pet one too. It seemed to enjoy it and I really wanted to pet one, but peer pressure kept me from doing it. They kept talking about something called rabies. Anyway, that’s why I posted a picture of them.

            Currently, we are on a 24-hour, that’s right 24-hour bus ride to our final destination…Rio! Yay!!! I can’t wait to be warm again…I had Sydney bring my Brazilian bikini (which she’s appalled about) so hopefully I will be able to take advantage of the warmer weather…stay tuned. 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home